Quick Tip: if you are a type 2 diabetic and want the most affordable rates, fill out the form on the side and rates will be displayed immediately.
can you get life insurance with type 2 diabetes
Life insurance for Type 2 diabetics can still get affordable rates. Let’s discuss Type 2 Diabetes…
What is the truth about life insurance with Type 2 diabetics? Can I be denied life insurance because of diabetes? So many question. We will the scoop...
Above all, living a healthy lifestyle as a Type 2 diabetic is the best chance of getting affordable life insurance rates.
However, for those likely to be considered high risk applicants by insurance companies, such as Type 2 diabetics, finding affordable life insurance can be difficult. But diabetes life solutions are available.
Most people understand the importance of life insurance protection. A good life insurance policy could protect your loved ones financially if something unexpected were to happen to you. Read below to get the facts about life insurance for diabetics...
What are top 5 fears of diabetics
Living with diabetes can be a very frustrating health impairment to live it. People with diabetes face long term health conflicts. Long term side effects of this disease is incredibly difficult to bear if you are not taking care of yourself. Some people are forced to use an insulin pump. I have family members with this awful disease. I know first hand the many thoughts that go through your mind. Such as the following:
- Low blood sugar
- Medication issues
- Food changes
- Complications causing strokes, heart attacks
- Is this the rest of my life?
With vs. Without Life Insurance
With life insurance, your family will have stable financial support, and you can fund some things for them. However, without life insurance, your family will inherit any debts you may have, and will need to pay for your final expenses out of pocket.
Although being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes may complicate your search for affordable life insurance, don’t give up. Affordable diabetic life insurance can be accomplished if well managed.
Life Insurance Pre-Diabetes
You have pre-diabetes or pre existing health impairments, it will affect the rates. With pre-diabetes, it all depends on your blood sugar level. We will discuss this further later in this article...
ADULT-ONSET/TYPE 2 DIABETICS
Diabetes signifies your blood glucose or blood sugar, levels are too high. With type 2 diabetes, the more common type, your body doesn’t make or use insulin well. Insulin is a hormone that helps glucose get into your cells to provide them more energy.
Over the years, high blood sugar may lead to serious issues with your heart, eyes, kidneys, nerves gums and teeth. In fact, this can lead you to have pre-existing medical conditions later on in life.t here...
HOW DOES FAMILY HISTORY AFFECT LIFE INSURANCE
Life insurance and family history has a great impact on you. You’ve got a greater risk of type 2 diabetes if you are elderly, have diabetes, have a family history of diabetes, or do not exercise. Having pre-diabetes also raises your risk. Pre-diabetes means your blood sugar is greater than normal but not large enough to be called diabetes. If you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, you may have the ability to postpone or prevent growing it by making some lifestyle adjustments.
Type 2 diabetes is easier to get approved for life insurance coverage as opposed to Type 1. Type 2 poses a lower risk to insurance companies. Keep in mind, this is true if you are controlled through medication.
HOW DO LIFE INSURANCE COMPANIES CHECK MEDICAL BACKGROUND FOR DIABETES / HEALTH IMPAIRMENTS
Life Insurance companies review the following:
Medical Information Bureau (MIB report) ~ This organization was created in 1902. Purpose was to provide fraud protection services to the carriers. This organization is owned by about 500 member insurance companies in the U.S. and in Canada as well. Their purpose is to assess an applicant’s risk during the underwriting process of your life insurance application.
Credit Report ~ In addition to the MIB report, insurance companies also review your credit report. They look to see if you are paying your bills on time as you most likely will be paying monthly premiums or even annually. There are several modes of premium payments to choose from.
FYI! For more information regarding the MIB or to request a copy of your MIB report to make sure there are no discrepancies. CLICK HERE to access their website.
SYMPTOMS OF TYPE 2 DIABETES
The signs of type 2 diabetes appear gradually. Some people do not notice symptoms in any way.
The symptoms may include:
- Having blurry eyesight
- Weight Loss
- Urinating often
- Having sores that heal slowly
- Being very thirsty
- Feeling very hungry or tired
- Tingling, pain, or numbness in the hands/feet
Blood tests can show if you’ve got diabetes. 1 kind of test, the A1C, can also check on how you are managing your diabetes. Lots of individuals can manage their diabetes during healthy eating, physical activity, and blood sugar testing. Some individuals also need to take diabetes medications.
MORE ABOUT TYPE 2 DIABETES
There are multiple types of diabetes, but most cases are either Type 1 diabetes or Type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetics do not produce insulin, which obviously has adverse effects on the body. On the other hand, type 2 diabetics still produce insulin, but usually not a sufficient or regulated amount.
Insurance companies are more concerned insuring people with Type 1 diabetes. Although, an unmanaged Type 2 diabetic can be in the same category. More importantly, getting affordable rates are more challenging for life insurance for diabetics type 1. Furthermore, proving that you have controlled diabetes and are doing the proper treatments, then it should not be a problem getting standard rates. Even life insurance over 75 with controlled blood sugar can get affordable diabetes life insurance.
BEST LIFE INSURANCE RATES FOR DIABETICS/TYPE 2 DIABETICS
Yes, there are many things you can do to improve your chances of getting affordable life insurance as a type 2 diabetic.
Let’s take a look at some of these below:
- Improve Your General Health — To get affordable life insurance, you’ll need to take a medical exam. It’s important to make a good impression at this medical exam because the results will have a significant impact on the cost of your life insurance. So, before the exam comes up, make sure to exercise, eat healthily, take measures to lower your blood pressure, and try to have your diabetes under control with appropriate treatments.
- Compare companies — Each life insurance company has different medical underwriting. This means that your perceived level of risk will vary between companies. For this reason, it’s important to get several quotes so that you can find the best offer.
- Hire An Independent Insurance Agent — An agent can connect you with the top life insurance companies. They’ll have an idea of which companies have more lenient underwriting for those with type 2 diabetes, which will increase your chances of getting affordable coverage.
NO MORE SMOKING!!
The next thing which you ought to do is remove any tobacco which you use. If you are listed as a smoker to your life insurance policy application, your premiums will go through the roof. In reality, smokers will cost twice as much to life insurance versus exactly what a healthy non-smoker will pay.
If you would like to conserve cash, you must remove any tobacco which you utilize. It is time to kick off the bad habit once and for all of it.
BEST LIFE INSURANCE FOR TYPE 2 DIABETICS
NO MEDICAL EXAM LIFE INSURANCE FOR DIABETICS
If you are having trouble getting accepted, or you just don’t want to do a medical exam, a no medical exam policy for diabetics is always an option. In fact, this may be the best option for those with unmanaged type 2 diabetes.
Furthermore, it prevents from getting more punished for their life insurance rates for their medical condition. Keep in mind, no medical exam life insurance policies are usually more expensive. In fact, this should be a last resort.
TOP 5 LIFE INSURANCE COMPANIES WHO DON’T REQUIRE A MEDICAL EXAM FOR DIABETICS
TERM LIFE INSURANCE FOR DIABETICS VS. WHOLE LIFE INSURANCE FOR DIABETICS
- Term life insurance: pays death benefits only. Term insurance is purchased for periods of time such as 10, 20, or 30 years. Or to a specific age, such as 65 years old. Premiums are guaranteed. The death benefit is paid to the beneficiary, which is non-taxable.
- Permanent life insurance: Whole life insurance for diabetics (aka, Permanent life) options will be more expensive than they are for non-diabetics. In fact, Whole Life is more expensive than a term life. The cash value feature can significantly increase your premium.
INSULIN DEPENDENT DIABETES AND LIFE INSURANCE
If you are insulin dependent there are some things to consider when it comes to applying for life insurance. What is your blood sugar level? What is your A1C? Depending on other health factors such as blood pressure, cholesterol etc.. And if your numbers are within normal range, getting approved for a standard or standard plus rate can be achievable. Being proactive, and honest with your independent agent will help them help you! Let’s face it, your ultimate goal here is, protecting your family at the best price with the best carrier! No better person to help you achieve this, than your agent!
LIFE INSURANCE RATES FOR TYPE 2 DIABETICS COMPARED TO NON DIABETICS
Now, depending on if you have other health impairments along with your diabetes, this may be a challenge. But still achievable. The best thing to start off with is be in contact with an independent agent. He/she will know which carriers are the best choice for your health impairments as each have their own criteria.
As a final point, I want to discuss exactly what the title of this article details, and that’s Life Insurance Rates for Diabetics. Further, I will go ahead and give examples of how a well-managed diabetic with an A1C of 7 and below rates would differ from say and unmanaged diabetic with an A1C between 9-9.9.
It’s very important to understand what the insurance company is going to look at when determining your final rate and approval for diabetes life insurance.
WITH REGARDS TO UNDERWRITING, THESE ARE WHAT WILL DETERMINE YOUR FINAL RATE
- Your age of diagnosis – Above all, this will determine the range of rating class that you will receive. The earlier your age that you’re diagnosed with type 2 diabetes the more adversely it will affect your rate.
- A1C History – Even more important, your A1C is a measuring stick for controlling your diabetesand blood sugar levels. Some people mistake it for your fasting blood sugar. To get the best rates as a type 2 diabetic, you will need to show the insurance company that you take controlling your diabetes serious. Ultimately, having an A1C under 7 is extremely well manages.
- Lifestyle with Diabetes – Most people correlate having diabetes with someone who is overweight or obese. Obviously, in some cases, this may be true. Having a health history of eating right, and possible weight loss will help to achieve a good rating class for acquiring life insurance for diabetics. If you smoke, stop!!! Quitting smoking will also help your rate drastically. Having diabetes and smoking is a no-no with insurance companies, and some may decline you or rate you off the table. In this case, maybe a guaranteed acceptance life insurance policy may be your only option.
LIFE INSURANCE DIABETES QUESTIONNAIRE
In addition to the above questions, underwriting will want to know the following:
- Type of diabetes
- Medications you take currently
- A list of doctors with contact information
- Recent annual Dr. check-up/ blood pressure
- Medical records from your doctors as well
- Are you a smoker
DOES DIABETES AFFECT LIFE INSURANCE
Our clients ask us often, does diabetes effect life insurance? To be honest, Yes. I know that is not the answer you wanted to hear. Let me be clear, this does not mean you are not insurable. It is all about finding you the best carrier at the best price. In fact, you can also get life insurance if you are insulin dependent. Each carrier will look at every person differently.
We say this often to our clients and remind you in our articles.
TREATMENT FOR TYPE 2 DIABETICS/CAN DIABETICS GET LIFE INSURANCE
You’re able to effortlessly manage diabetes. Your physician will explain to you how many times you have to check your blood sugar levels. The objective is to keep within a particular selection.
Follow these hints to handle Diabetes:
- Include foods full of fiber and wholesome carbs in a daily diet plan. Eating fruits, veggies, and whole grains may in keeping your blood sugar levels stable.
- Eat regular intervals
- Simply eat before you are full.
- Get a grip on your own weight and also maintain your heart healthy.
- Get about 30 minutes of aerobic activity per day to keep your heart healthy. Exercise will help to manage blood sugar, too.
Your healthcare provider will describe how to recognize first signs of blood sugar levels that is too much or too low and also what things exactly to do in each circumstance. Your health care provider may even assist you to determine which foods are healthy and which foods are not.
Perhaps not everyone with type two diabetes should make use of insulin. There are additional medications that’ll help Type 2 diabetics.
TREATMENTS AND MEDICATIONS FOR TYPE 2 DIABETICS
There are lots of treatment options. What your physician prescribes can depend on exactly what additional health issues you’ve got. And how well medications work for you.
Diabetes treatment comprises:
- Metformin ~ The most common treatment for type 2. This oral drug is sold as a liquid or pill. It’s often the first drug that individuals who have type 2 diabetes take. Metformin improves your body’s utilization of insulin and reduces the amount of sugar your liver makes.
- Insulin therapy ~ There are many different kinds of insulin. They vary by just how long they begin to work, when they peak, and also how long they continue. Insulin has multiple types of delivery techniques. this includes a needle, pump, interface, jet injector, and an inhaler.
- Sulfonylureas ~ These pills stimulate the release of insulin by the pancreas and also help the body use insulin. Popular sulfonylureas incorporate glimepiride (Amaryl), glipizide (Glucotrol), and glyburide (DiaBeta, Micronase, and Glynase).
- Meglitinides ~ Just like sulfonylureas, this class of medicines promotes insulin production in your system. These oral meds, for example, repaglinide (Prandin) and nateglinide (Starlix), are fast acting and don’t stay in the body for long, therefore they have to be used only before meals.
OTHER RECENT TREATMENTS
RATE COMPARISON FOR A 40-YEAR-OLD HEALTHY MALE VS 40-YEAR-OLD DIABETIC
For a healthy 40-year-old male/female that is purchasing a $500,000 20 year term life insurance policy. For Type 2 Diabetics…
Healthy 40-year-old Male/Female
A 40-year-old Male/Female Diabetic with an A1C 7.0 and below
7.1- 8.00 below:
A1C 10.0 and above, DECLINED!
REASONS FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES
Your pancreas produces insulin and it releases it whenever you’ve eaten. Usually, its common to be obese or overweight when being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
When you have diabetes, the body becomes more immune. Your own body is now not employing the hormone economically. This compels your own pancreas to work harder to earn more insulin. As time passes, this could harm cells in your pancreas. Finally, your pancreas may possibly well not have the capability to create any insulin.
Should you choose to create enough insulin or when the own body does not utilize it economically, glucose accumulates in your blood. This leaves your own system’s cells starved for energy.
Doctors do not understand just what causes this collection of events.
It may possibly be related to cell malfunction at the pancreas or using cell regulation and signaling. Sometimes, the liver produces a lot of sugar. There might be a genetic predisposition for developing type 2 diabetes.
Additionally, there might also be an environmental cause. Most importantly, it is really a mixture of factors that raise the probability of type 2 diabetes. Research into the reasons for diabetes is more ongoing.
HOW DOES GESTATIONAL DIABETES DIFFER
Does gestational diabetes affect life insurance? If you are pregnant, your body naturally becomes more resistant to insulin to ensure that the more sugar can be found to nourish your baby. For many moms-to-be, this is not an issue. Whenever your body requires extra insulin to process extra sugar in the blood, the pancreas secretes more.
But in the event the pancreas can not keep up with the greater requirement for insulin during pregnancy, blood glucose levels rise too large since the cells are not employing the sugar. This ends in gestational diabetes”
Considering gestational diabetes is frequently a temporary situation between glucose intolerance during pregnancy, most insurance companies aren’t too worried about a preceding background of it.
The largest dilemma is if the diabetes proceeds after the maternity also become Type 2 diabetics. If there aren’t any extra signals of diabetes post-pregnancy, subsequently getting great rates in life insurance shouldn’t be a problem.
FINAL THOUGHTS/TYPE 2 DIABETICS
To conclude, as we discussed the variations of what can affect life insurance rates for someone with Type 2 diabetes. Whether for a Type 1 Diabetic or for Type 2 Diabetics, diabetes is a dreadful disease, but it can be controlled with a commitment to yourself.
Compared to other diseases like cancer, multiple sclerosis or epilepsy where you have no control, knowing you have a say in your health is important to embrace.
Think of your family and want to spend many years with them. Think of setting an example on achieving success with managing your diabetes. This will inspire others to do as well. YOU HAVE A CHOICE, a choice to control diabetes and not the other way around.
If you have any questions on this topic feel free to call me anytime at 855-380-3300 x2. Wish you all the best!
Not only do I have licenses in 49 states, I also am appointed with over 150 Top Carriers in Life Insurance and can shop you multiple carriers for the best rate.
My passion and goal is to help you find the best policy that fits your budget and your family’s needs. To ensure what you envision for your family is kept in tact long after you are gone.
I have strong relationships with the underwriter teams. In fact, I am knowledgeable about all health related challenges. I WILL INDEED shop you the…
...BEST PRICE, BEST CARRIER… GUARANTEED!!!