Quick Tip: If you have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and want an instant life quote, fill out the form on the side and rates will be displayed immediately.
I Have Sleep Apnea — Will This Have An Impact On My Life Insurance?
Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder that a lot of people suffer from, though they may not even know it. The problem with sleep apnea is it comes with some extreme health risks, which may concern life insurance companies. Wearing a CPAP can health mitigate these risks, and control your sleep apnea.
Above all, insurance carriers are serious about sleeping apnea when it comes to applying for life insurance. Furthermore, obstructive sleep apnea could make a carrier second guess giving coverage. And broadly speaking, in the event the policy is approved, the premiums might be more than what they truly are to get an otherwise healthy individual.
Along with high premiums, a few life insurance carriers minimize the total amount of coverage they’ll give to somebody who has been diagnosed with sleep apnea. They can diminish the death benefit to some degree that’s much lower than what you’re applying for.
How Do I Get Term Life Insurance With Sleep Apnea?
There are a few things that life insurance companies are going to look into before they decide whether or not to approve them for term life insurance with sleep apnea. First, they’ll want to know if you regularly wear your CPAP. They’ll want to examine your sleep study, so they can assess how risky your sleep apnea is.
Getting a good rate when diagnosed with sleep apnea depends on:
- How long ago were you diagnosed
- Type of treatment CPAP, operation, medications
- which kind of sleep apnea obstructive, central or complex/mixed
- Any pre-existing conditions like obesity, stroke, melancholy, heart problems, Type1 diabetes or type two diabetes along with hypertension,
- Has your sleep apnea disorder improved, stayed the same,
- The amount of alcohol consumption
- Are you taking your treatment seriously? are you using the CPAP
- Prevention is the key. If you’re not compliant with CPAP use they will rate you differently.
If you use the CPAP sometimes, insurance carriers will consider you not compliant. You have to become compliant with your treatment so you can get the best rate that you qualify for.
Rating classes for those with sleep apnea disorder (Rule of Thumb)
- Mild – Standard Plus possible
- Moderate – Standard
- Moderate untreated – Table 2
- Moderately Severe – CPAP nightly – Standard – Table 2
- Severe, non-compliant – Decline
How Can I Get Affordable Life Insurance Rates With Sleep Apnea?
One of the most effective ways to get more affordable life insurance is to receive quotes from several different life insurance companies. This way, you can compare rates, and you’ll be more likely to get an offer for affordable life insurance. If you have been declined a life insurance policy for sleep apnea, you probably aren’t doing business with the right carrier and agent. Call us at PinnacleQuote and we will match you up with the carrier that fits you best.
Remember, each company has different medical underwriting. Further, this means that the risk level associated with various medical conditions varies from company to company. While someone diagnosed with sleep apnea are a high risk applicant by one insurance company, another insurance company may offer the same person a standard life insurance rate.
You’ll want to make sure you’re only working with the best insurance companies, such as American General/AIG. These companies will be more reliable and provide higher quality customer service. You can use the ratings given out by A.M. Best as a resource.
For those who have sleep apnea, the entire life insurance industry may want to know that you are trying to find treatment for it. Additionally, they will be interested in how frequently you are taking advantage of those procedure choices. A severe condition can lead to high rates ranging from normal to substandard as long as you’re complying with the treatment regimen.
Sleep Apnea and other Health Impairments and Risks
Of course, your sleep apnea won’t be the only thing that life insurance companies want to know. You can get more affordable life insurance if you exercise, eat healthier, take measures to lower your blood pressure, and quit any tobacco products before applying. Also, keep your treated cholesterol within normal ranges. Improving your general health before taking the medical exam will have a significant impact on your life insurance rates.
Another thing you can do is to prepare for the sleep apnea questionnaire. Life insurance companies are more likely to accept your application and offer you a cheap policy if your answers are honest and thorough. Answers that do not adequately answer the questions, however, will concern them. Take a look at a few questions when applying for life insurance for sleep apnea:
- Has your sleep apnea been stable, or has it fluctuated, gotten worse, or gotten better?
- When were you diagnosed with sleep apnea?
- Has your sleep apnea been diagnosed as obstructive?
- What kinds of things have you done to treat your sleep apnea?
- Have you had a sleep study done?
- What’s your sleep apnea index?
- Are you on any medications?
How Does Sleep Apnea Affect My Insurance Rates?
Generally speaking, sleep apnea will likely increase the price of your life insurance. However, just because you have sleep apnea doesn’t mean you can’t still get cheap term life insurance. If you show that you’re compliant with controlled sleep apnea, life insurance companies usually won’t have a problem insuring you.
In fact, it’s even possible to get preferred plus rates with obstructive sleep apnea! You just need to shop around insurance companies and find the carriers that are most lenient to those with sleep apnea.
Also, if the price is an issue, know that term life insurance policies are cheaper than whole life insurance policies. For those looking for life insurance in their 40’s, we usually recommend a 30 year term life insurance policy.
No Exam Term Life Insurance and Sleep Apnea
For anyone struggling to get accepted by a life insurance company due to health issues, a no medical exam life insurance policy is always an option. However, prepare for these plans to be more expensive.
You may want to consider hiring an independent insurance agent to assist you. In fact, this is usually a solid investment, since an agent will help connect you with the top carriers, and improve your chances of finding a low-priced policy.
Things Life Insurance Carriers Look For When Determining The Life Insurance Rate With Sleep Apnea
They’ll desire to examine that your polysomnogram (sleep study test). This will let them look at your respiratory routines, chest muscle task, and also your blood oxygenation levels. In addition to this they will as you some questions regarding you and your sleep apnea. These questions will include:
- Height and weight
- Age of diagnosis
- Sleep Apnea Treatment
- Other pre-existing medical conditions like diabetes
- Treated or Untreated Blood Pressure
- Smoking habits
- Depression or Anxiety
- Is your Sleep Apnea Condition improving or getting worse
Each one of these facets can determine if you will get much better rates or if you will be categorized in a higher risk category. For Example, your Apnea Index they will typically rate it just like that:
- Apnea indicator of 0-10 will result in the best rate
- 11-20 increases your premiums
- Apnea index of 21-30 increases your premiums about a double
- 31-40 will increase your premiums almost triple
- Anything above 40 will likely be declined
Treatments For Sleep Apnea
Discover the most frequent alternatives to CPAP therapy, considering that some people do not like C-pap or have trouble using them. Alternatives to CPAP are for people that have a problem exhaling from the anxiety about CPAP. Luckily, there are many solutions on the market. Throughout the previous 15 to 20 decades, the CPAP masks and equipment have come to be increasingly more user-friendly. The machines tend to be smaller, portable, and smoother, and even allow data capture of patient adherence and C-pap efficiency.
However, in the event that you fail to endure your CPAP, actually, when you implemented the information out of the informative article about C-pap Side Effects, you might choose to try the alternatives to CPAP.
- Special Dental Apparatus for Obstructive Apnea: A sleep apnea dental apparatus is used to relieve upper airway obstruction and snoring simply by altering the job of the mandible, tongue, and also different oral-pharyngeal structures. An oral appliance additionally prevents the tongue from obstructing the air passages.
- Mandibular Advancement Device: All these are oral appliances that are fitted into the maxillary and mandibular dentition also functions shifting the positioning of the lower jaw, or mandible. The dental apparatus pushes the lower jaw forward. Additionally, this repositions the tongue, which is attached to the lower jaw. By massaging the lower jaw and tongue, the oral machine keeps air open and prevents the appearance of snoring and apnea events.
- Tongue Retaining Devices: This apparatus re-positions the tongue in a posterior position by securing it with negative pressure at a gentle plastic bulb that directly contacts the bottom of the tongue. Other types of TRD uses a suction cup that attaches to the front part of the tongue pulling the tongue forward to protect against the rear part of the tongue out of falling apart.
- Bi-level PAP (frequently referred to by the trademarked name Bi-PAP) is just another alternative to CPAP machines, plus they are more efficient compared to CPAP. BiPAP machines provide 2 pressure ranges, one throughout inhalation and a diminished one throughout exhalation. The pressure drop during exhalation is designed to increase relaxation for patients who have trouble exhaling against a continuous incoming pressure, such as CPAP.
- Weight Loss: Making healthy dietary adjustments and becoming more aerobic exercise each day can help rehydrate those fat cells, as well as improve the overall tone of your muscles at the upper airway. This can lead to less intense patterns of anti snoring.
- C Flex: For those with mild OSA, adding the C-FLEX option might be all that’s necessary to boost the comfort level of pressure that is incoming. C-Flex is a type of anxiety relief setting which softens the exhale pressure such as Bi-PAP but at far lower setting.
Medical Procedures For Sleep Apnea
There are surgical and outpatient, implant treatments which could help protect against the collapse of the whilst still sleeping.
Here are some procedures:
- Pillar Procedure
- Outpatient and implant procedures
- Nasal surgery
- Upper Airway Neurostimulation
The Right Life Insurance Agent Makes All The Difference
Life insurance carriers are very serious about sleep apnea. Bottom line, it causes death. Because of this, when you’ve decided to acquire life insurance, then you also should work closely with a qualified insurance broker or independent agent. The independent agent will have the experience to locate policies for those having the illness and will isolate the carriers which have the very positive view of applicants that have been diagnosed with sleep apnea.
For those who have the health impairment, and you also make an effort to find life insurance by yourself. Ultimately can devote a great deal of time and wind up receiving the wrong advice by captive carriers. Just a skilled life insurance professional should have the ability to assist you to find the one that is perfect for you.
Sleep Apnea and Life Insurance
Where can I get the Best Quote for Life Insurance?
First, PinnacleQuote is here to help. Second, Speak with one of our agents, and they’ll be able to answer any and all of your questions. Third, We can help set you up with the best life insurance companies and find the most reasonably-priced policies for you. Finally, Working with us will save you a tremendous amount of time, energy, and money.
PinnacleQuote Life Insurance Specialists, National Independent Agent
Above all, you want to make sure when shopping for a life insurance policy that you want to go with an independent agent over a captive agent. Actually, PinnacleQuote is a licensed national independent life insurance agent in 49 states. At the same time, has relationships with dozens of carriers. In any event, if you’re looking for a simple process, then let PinnacleQuote hold you by the hand. Therefore, we will provide you with the best life insurance rates in the industry, that’s made possible by the relationships we have accumulated over the years. Ultimately, with 25 years experience in the Investment/Life insurance industries, PinnacleQuote will provide you the best service to protect your family.